In lower Manhattan, at Watts Avenue and Sixth Avenue, AKA SoHo, this 3-story ad was displayed as a means of anti-abortion propaganda by Life Always, an anti-abortion group who was willing to pay the $20,000 price tag to have the ad displayed for a month. After receiving intense public outcry, the ad was removed yesterday, February 24, 2011.
As a Black woman, this ad is painful for me to see. While abortion has never impacted my life directly, I do understand that I had a niece/nephew I never got the opportunity to meet because of a common obstacle, best identified as abortion. The thought of that still chokes me up to this day.
I’m not going to get into a debate as to whether or not I believe this ad is right or wrong, because while I do believe in it’s message (Black community, let’s stop aborting our legacies), I reject it’s lack of sensitivity.
Instead I figured I’d share some statistics I’ve found regarding abortion, to give people a better idea of the actual numbers we’re working with.
*Disclaimer: Because reporting of abortions is not mandatory, statistics aren’t 100% reliable (but then again, statistics never really are).
As of 2008/early 2009…
- White women have more abortions than any other race. 41% of women having abortions are white, 32% are black, and 20% are hispanic
- Black women are 4x as likely, and Hispanic women are nearly 3x as likely, to have an abortion than White women. Black women’s abortion rates are 50 per 1,000, Hispanic women’s are 28 per 1,000 and non-Hispanic white women’s are 11 per 1,000.
- Almost half of us (women) in our lifetimes will have one…don’t judge a woman now, because you might be making that same decision later. An estimated 43% of all women will have at least 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old. 47% of all abortions are performed on women who have had at least one previous abortion.
- Impoverished women are NOT the main ones aborting-it’s the middle-class. Women with family incomes less than $15,000 obtain 28.7% of all abortions; Women with family incomes between $15,000 and $29,999 obtain 19.5%; Women with family incomes between $30,000 and $59,999 obtain 38.0%; Women with family incomes over $60,000 obtain 13.8%
- Most abortions are a calculated choice made out of concenience. 1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient). Those reasons include: Wants to postpone childbearing: 25.5% ; Wants no (more) children: 7.9% ; Cannot afford a baby: 21.3% ; Having a child will disrupt education or job: 10.8% ; Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy: 14.1% ; Too young/parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy: 12.2% ; Other: 2.1%